Sunday, April 24, 2011

Some thoughts on Plans and Interruptions

God never ceases to surprise me reminding me of the old saying "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." The first event I mentioned during a recent homily. During the Stations of the Cross I was thrice denied the opportunity to carry the cross. This wasn't a malicious denial, rather an act of encouragement and support. I was so moved be this that my only response was to find a a way to literally lie before the Lord and take in God's goodness and love. The second humbling event happened while I was taking Communion to a parishioner who had been admitted to an assisted living facility. I was told by a staff member that she was still at lunch and that I could find her in the dining room. Upon walking in immediately two hands went up motioning for me to come over to their table. I went over introducing myself and clarifying that I was an Episcopal priest, not Roman Catholic. I explained that I would be happy to offer Communion, but I did not want to misrepresent myself. One woman replied, "Communion is Communion isn't it?" I was humbled. I prayed with them and gave them Communion. In the end two others also joined in.
These two simple, yet humbling happenings reminded me that God wants to surprise us if we are open to it. A senior priest once told me "The work of the Holy Spirit is most discernable in the interruptions."
Are you willing to have your plans interrupted?

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment